By Bamidele Aturu
Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah-Ogiemwonyi
13th June, 2012
Honourable Minister of Aviation
RE: REQUEST FOR THE COMPREHENSIVE ACCIDENT REPORTS OF ALL AIR ACCIDENTS AND OR CRASHES IN NIGERIA SINCE 1969 TO DATE PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 1,3 AND 4 OF THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2011
I would like to begin by expressing my heartfelt condolences generally to all Nigerians and in particular to the families and friends of those who lost their dear lives in the unfortunate DANA crash on the 3rd day of June 2012 in Lagos. This is indeed a very sad moment for all of us. I must thank you and the Federal Government of Nigeria for showing a sense of urgency, cogency and responsibility in responding so far to the latest air tragedy.
As you would doubtless agree with me, information on the aviation sector is critical for our people and those who do business in our country to plan their travels and affairs. Perhaps more importantly our people need to have reports of the investigations statutorily conducted into previous air crashes in Nigeria, if any, since 1969 in order to satisfy themselves that necessary preventive and regulatory measures are being taken by the relevant government agencies.
Consequently, I hereby request pursuant to sections 1, 3 and 4 of the Freedom of Information Act, 2011 that you kindly use your good offices to make available to me or grant me access to the Reports of all the air crashes, accidents and or incidents that occurred within the Nigerian Airspace between November 20, 1969 and June 3rd 2012 not later than 7 days after you have must have received this letter/request. If the report on the crash of 3rd June 2012 is not ready as is presumable, kindly indicate so and let me have an idea of when it may be ready.
You are hereby specifically requested to make available to me or grant me access to reports concerning the following air incidents or accidents, that is:
-November 20, 1969: Nigeria Airways BAC VC10
– December 1988: Skypower Brandeironte aircraft
– 26 Jun 1991; Okada Air BAC-111
– February 24, 1991: British Helicopter
– May 21, 1991: A Cessna Citation 550
– June 26, 1991: An Okada Air Bac-11
– July 11, 1991: Nigeria Airways DC-8-61
– September 26, 1992: Nigerian Air Force A C-130
– June 24, 1995: Harka Air Services Tupolev 34
– November 13, 1995: Nigeria Airways Boeing 737-2F9
– November 7, 1996: A Nigerian ADC (Aviation Development Corporation) Airline Boeing 727-231
– January 31, 1997: SkyPower Express Airways Embraer 110PIA
– September 12, 1997: A NAF Dornier 228-212
– January 5, 2000: SkyPower Express Airways Bandeirante 110P1A
– October 26, 2000: Dornier aircraft
– May 4, 2002: EAS Airlines’ BAC 1-11-500
– November 30, 2003, a Cargo aircraft
– March 6, 2004: An aenail spray aircraft with registration number 5NBEF
– July 26, 2004: Pan African Airlines’ helicopter
– December 29, 2004: A Boeing 727 of Chanchangi Airlines
– December 29, 2004: A Kenya Airlines aircraft
– January 28, 2005: A Nigeria Air Force fighter plane
– February 25, 2005: ADC’s B73 aircraft
– March 27, 2005: A Boeing 737 of Bellview
– June 11/12, 2005: Lagos: a Boeing 727-200 aircraft
– June 24, 2005: A Russian aircraft belonging to Harka Air
– July 6, 2005, Port Harcourt: an Air France A330 plane
– July 23, 2005, a Lufthansa aircraft
– October 22, 2005: A Bellview Airlines Boeing 737
– December 10, 2005: A Sosoliso Airlines DC-
– September 17, 2006: A 18-seater Dornier 228 Air Force transport plane
– October 29, 2006: Aviation Development Corporation Airline Boeing 737
– November 10, 2006: OAS Service Helicopter
– August 2, 2007: Bristow-owned helicopter
– March 15, 2008: Beechcraft 1900D plane
– March 14, 2012: A Helicopter belonging to the Joint Task Force (JTF)
–June 3rd 2012- DANA Aircraft crash, if available as I recognize that the report of this particular accident or incident may not be ready yet.
However, if you think that another agency of the Government has greater interest in the Reports you are obliged under Section 5 of the Freedom of Information Act 2011 to transfer this request to the other agency within 3 days, howbeit not later than 7 days of receiving this request.
I shall pay the necessary fees for the Reports. Be notified that if you fail to provide the above information within the period stipulated by law I shall proceed against you in accordance with the provisions of the law.
I have no doubt that you will accede to this very friendly request.
Accept the renewed assurances of my very high regards.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.