On behalf of the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it is my honour and pleasure to, once again, warmly welcome our dear President, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, and our august guest, the President of the Republic of South Africa, His Excellency, President Jacob Zuma and to express our appreciation to him for his insightful address to this joint session. This underscores the central role that Parliaments play as the epicentre of our democracies. I also wish to thank my colleagues, Members of the National Assembly of Nigeria for according our guest a rousing reception.
- This visit also reinforces the brotherhood, fraternity and collaboration between our two countries. We all know the role Nigeria played as a frontline state in the anti-apartheid struggle of the people of South Africa and therefore expect that level of commitment to be reflected in our bilateral relations.
- If collaboration between Nigeria and citizens of South Africa who were locked in the most ruthless and crudest form of colonialism, could help in dismantling Apartheid, one can only but imagine what would happen to our continent when Nigeria effectively engages a free South Africa.
- South Africa has a large population of Nigerians living and contributing their quota to its development. We, as representatives of the people seek that this brotherhood between our leaders translates to good relations between citizens of both countries and it is only then that both countries can speak to true integration of our peoples in the interest of our continent.
- May I also seize this opportunity to commend President Jacob Zuma as well as the South African Investors for their interest and confidence in taking advantage of the robust investment opportunities in our country especially now the current administration has brought corruption to its knees. We (both corporate and individuals) look forward to better reciprocal treatment of our citizens in South Africa.
- On our part as parliament, we pledge unabated fraternity with the South African Legislature in the promotion of these ideals. On behalf of the National Assembly of Nigeria, therefore we wish His Excellency President Zuma and his entire entourage a most eventful visit to Nigeria and Godspeed as you return home at the end of the Visit.
- Long live the Republic of South Africa, long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
This speech was a vote of thanks by Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Federal Republic of Nigeria at joint session of National Assembly on Tuesday, March 8, 2016, during President Jacob Zuma’s visit to Nigeria.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.