3. As an independent and statutory national institution for the protection of human rights, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has a responsibility to undertake this assessment. For this purpose, we are undertaking separate consultations with relevant agencies as well as with people from the affected communities. An assessment will also involve a visit to the affected communities. The Commission also proposes to monitor and undertake an assessment of the wider humanitarian situation in the North East of Nigeria.
4. Sections 5 (b)-(e) and 6(1) of the amended National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Act requires the Commission in such situations to undertake investigations, assessments or studies and address recommendations to the President, the National Assembly or any other institutions as to what may be done. If an assessment discloses human rights crimes, the NHRC Act also empowers the Commission to make appropriate recommendations for accountability.
5. The Act also gives the Commission full powers of a commission of inquiry, if necessary. As an independent institution, the NHRC must act with fairness, rigour and professionalism and we are committed to doing so.
6. For their parts, the NHRC fully requests the agencies of Government at all levels, Federal, State, and Local Government as well as elected representatives of the affected communities to afford it full co-operation and assistance in the conduct of this important work. We will also appeal to the affected communities to extend similar co-operation to the Commission.
7. Any persons who may have any information that can assist the Commission in forming a view of what may have transpired can avail it of such information through its Executive Secretariat, 19 Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama, Abuja.
8. The Commission is maintaining full consultation with relevant international and regional institutions and Mandates and will keep all apprised of our progress and findings.
9. In the interim, the NHRC transmits sincere condolences to the communities, families and persons affected or bereaved by violence in different parts of Nigeria.
Chidi Anselm Odinkalu, Ph.D
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.